Monday, July 11, 2005

Up the Wooden Hill to Bedfordshire



The horrible events of last week in London have left me thinking about the city and music that always reminds me of the times I've been there. Saint Etienne are the most obvious example, there's just some sort of London quality to them and is embedded in most of their albums. Their new one "Tales From Turnpike House" is a great example of this and in my opinion is their most consistant album for a long while. Not sure if there's a US release date yet but the UK version comes with a bonus EP of songs from a hopefully forthcoming kids album "Up The Wooden Hill" you can tell you're getting old when your favourite bands are looking at enough fans with children to justify something like this. I've gotta say the song "Let's Build A Zoo" is one of my favorite songs at the moment.



The Saint Etienne website can be found here

4 comments:

Brian W said...

I've been trying to listen to the new album with the knowledge that it's a concept album about people who all live in one block of flats.

But I feel like I'm missing a lot of references.

And I hate, hate, hate, hate that song with David Essex.

Still, it definitely seems to be a "grower" kind of album.

Anonymous said...

I think the new Saint Etienne CD is quite superb, their best ever IMHO. Has a real sixties feel to it in parts (Small Faces particularly. The title Up The Wooden Hills (To Bedfordshire) shows the SM are right on the bands radar too) coupled with the smooth dance melodies and arrangments that St. Etienne have made their own. My album of 2005 so far, just beating out Malcolm Middleton's 'Into The Woods'.

xolondon said...

I bought Travel Edition hoping to get into them after all these years and it didn't happen. I saved a few tracks and got rid of it! BUT I do like the two tracks you gave us here (I have been singing the chorus to Zoo around the house). These tracks remind me of a couple of other songs you might like: the hilarious "School Song" by Black Box Recorder and the wistful (and super cool) "Pop A Cap In Yo Ass" - the recent collaboration between Ben Watt and Estelle. That track is a killer. THanks for the SE though...

Anonymous said...

Right there with mikeb; the Et's best yet (beating out the monumental Tiger Bay), and probably album of the year. The first concept album I've ever heard where the concept doesn't overwhelm the music, but instead provides a consistency not often found in their albums. Brilliant.