Thursday, March 10, 2005

Rainy Days and Mondays



If I Were A Carpenter released in 1994 was a (then) all-star tribute to The Carpenters, which, like most tribute albums was a decidely hit or miss affair. The best tracks on it take the original songs and add at least something a bit different to them while some you're much better off listening to the originals. What's probably most interesting is looking at the bands involved and seeing how their careers haave fluctuated in the last ten years. So alongside the still with us (Sonic Youth, Matthew Sweet) and the reformed (American Music Club, Cracker) we have the best forgotton (4 Non Blondes) and who the hell were they in the first place? (Johnette Napolitano). Two of the better songs were the covers by American Music Club and Shonen Knife and I wish I had the Paul Quinn versiion of "Superstar" to post as well, maybe someone could hook us up?


Buy The Album here

5 comments:

martijn said...

I first heard that Shonen Knife song outside the context of the album and I was slightly dissapointed when I discovered it's a cover. So brilliant.

Anonymous said...

surely you jest re: johnette???

concrete blonde...

redrosesforme said...

Being an English person apparently Concrete Blonde made no impression on me or my country. Should I be upset at this?

Dodge said...

dude, i had that Smurf when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

A mi me gustaba mucho la versión que hicieron Red Kross!!! La verdad es que es un disco excelente, hicieron uno muy parecido por la misma epoca con canciones de dibujos animados a cargo de Liz Phair, Ramones...no lo llegue a escuchar nunca, pero tenia buena pinta.
saludos y perdona por que te cuelgue el post en español pero mi ingles escrito es poco mas que nulo.