Thursday, February 17, 2005

Born In A Maisonette



I'm sure the fact that Mighty Mighty spent most of their career on Chapter 22 records didn't help them. Some labels encourage collectors to eagerly await their next release and investigate every new signing. Chapter 22, well I love The Mission and Rose Of Avalanche so this jingly jangly indie band is right up my street. What is strange is the fact that the band managed one album when still around, "Sharks", and three, count em, three albums since they split. So for all you Mighty Mighty fans out there (there must be thousands judging by that release program!) we have the a-sides of two of their singles. Apparently the singer wanted a girl built like a car? I guess this was a specific car as my car is a 91 Cadillac with a leaky fuel tank and speakers that intermitantly blast me with feedback, almost nothing like my wife! Actually if anyone's interested email me with an offer, for the car that is. All of their albums can be purchased from Vinyl Japan at the link below.


Vinyl Japan and their landfill of Mighty Mighty releases can be found here

4 comments:

Tom said...

Are you sure it's a girl he is singing about? Mighty Mighty always struck me a band comprised of gay blokes! Well the singer anyway. The bands catalogue numbers on their Girlie Label singles should really be a clue!!!

redrosesforme said...

Hmm, I always thought they were being ironic about calling their cat numbers that because it was called the "girlie" label. Maybe I need to rexamine their lyrics more closely.

Tom said...

Gay or not they were a great band. "Positively Sesame Street" is a top tune too. I must post it one day. Apart from Age Of Chance they provided the only real diverseity in sound on the C86 tape. I thought they harked backed to Orange Juice on many of their tracks.

Anonymous said...

a nice nod to Nikki Sudden/the Jacobites on Is There Anybody Out There (Chelsea girl...). thanks for a great blog, Steve.