Monday, January 03, 2005

The Paisley Underground Part Two



The first time I ever went to Scotland I somehow ended up in Paisley, which for those of you who are interested is a town a few miles outside of Glasgow. I remember three things from the time spent there: firstly spending Saturday night in a club where the DJ resided in a cage, secondly, spending Sunday night in maybe the same club but tonight was goth night and discovering that there was some goth hybrid of line dancing which took place to the sounds of "Alice" by The Sisters Of Mercy and thirdly fearing for my life the whole time I was in the town.
Paisley was also the home to The Close Lobsters who left us with two great albums and seemed to do better in the US than their homeland. The two songs to download are their first single "Going To Heaven To See If It Rains" and "Nature Thing" from their second album "Headache Rhetoric"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I live in Paisley, and have been following your musical taste for a couple of weeks now.

I think that you have great tastes in music - more power to you

redrosesforme said...

Glad you're enjoying the music, I'm sure Paislay is great really!

Anonymous said...

I lived in Paisley at that time, and your description is perfect! To be fair, the goth disco was kinda fun, and some of it's denizens were open-minded enough to go to Pastels and Shop Assistants gigs with me.

And everybody liked the Lobsters, though if truth be told they never quite topped 'Just Too Bloody Stupid' from their first demo tape.